Ponit & Click design doc

Hello again!

As I wrote in my post about the little point and click prototype some time ago, I had written a design document for that short project to practice writing such documents and to speed up the prototyping by providing myself a clear path to follow. I also had the plan to upload it. The original version was handwritten so I typed it in, but forgot about the upload, because I have been busy making another little prototype lately too.

A couple of words about the DD. The document was evolving alongside with the prototype itself. The way I was working, I gathered my thoughts and ideas and wrote them down, after which I would go through them in my head thinking of the implementation and possible complications. I wrote down alternative solutions mostly as quick notes so that I would always focus on the current main solution. When the current solution seemed less than ideal I would try to move on to the next one as quickly as possible. In this case I would detail it in written form as well and if I would come up with alternatives in the process I would write them down only as small notes. Basically I was trying to keep a clear focus without getting tunnel vision.

The uploaded document is the final version without all the discarded ideas. If you should read it and have some experience with programming, game developement, or Unity I would very much appreciate if you could tell me if you found the document to be clear, if you think you could recreate the same demo from the document, and if there is anything that was badly written and difficult to understand.

The design document can be found here in the Demos section.

The game I have been working on is a mix of a tile matching puzzle game like Luxor and Pong. It works for the most part but I want to give it a little bit of testing and polishing before uploading it. It will have some bugs that won’t be squashed though simply because it is only a proof of concept. I’m still not really happy with the physics engine of Unity when it comes to handling the collision of spheres.

Making this was an interesting experience because I had to make some shortcuts in order to get it done within a reasonable time limit. Wisely discarding certain elements during rapid prototyping is probably a more sophisticated skill than I had thought previously.

I’ll be writing a bit more about this when I upload it. For now thanks for reading. Bye and have a nice day!

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: